In New York, local NGOs collaborated with The Illuminator on a projection of short videos of people who use drugs – with words characterising them (doctor, advocate, poet, etc.) and then the word ‘criminal’ crossed out – on the walls of the Brooklyn Detention Centre on 23rd June, as well as an interactive project.
In Washington DC, SSDP organised an action and took photos in front of the White House and other landmark locations.
Other actions were also organised in San Francisco and Buffalo.
Video of the event in New York
- WIVB.com: Support, don’t punish: Message behind Global Action Day
- The Influence: “Support. Don’t Punish”—Protestors Project Powerful Anti-Drug War Images Onto Brooklyn Detention Center
- Common Dreams: With failed war on drugs as backdrop, global day of action calls for reform
- Raw Story: “Support. Don’t punish”—Protestors project powerful anti-drug war images onto Brooklyn detention center
In Washington DC, SSDP and StoptheDrugWar.org organised a march from the State Department to the White House. And in San Francisco, the San Francisco Drug Users’ Union organised a gathering. SSDP hosted a small event in Denver.
- Hemp News: Global: New UN Report Exposes Failure Of War On Drugs But Ignores Causes, Solution
- DrugPolicy: 150 Cities Come Together to Demand an End to the Drug War
- Stopthe DrugWar: On the UN’s Global Anti-Drug Day, Civil Society Fights Back
- Dailycaller: Activists To Obama: Stop Sending Aid To Countries Using Death Penalty For Drug Offenses
- Students for Sensible Drug Policy: SSDP Participates in the Support. Don’t Punish. Global Day of Action
- High Times: 150 Cities Fight Back Against War on Drugs
- The Weed Blog: Activists March From State Department To White House And Press Obama Administration To End War On Drugs
- Drugtruth: Century of Lies
The Harm Reduction Coalition (HRC), the International Drug Policy Consortium (IDPC) New York office and partners organised a rally outside of the United Nations Headquarters in New York, with supporters chanting and displaying banners calling for an end to the war on drugs.
- Al Jazeera America: Global war on drugs protesters highlight human rights abuses
- Daily Chronic: Worldwide Protests Set for UN Anti-Drugs Day This Thursday
- Drug War Chronicle: Worldwide Protests Set for UN Anti-Drugs Day This Thursday
- Las Vegas Weekly: A child of the ’80s grapples with the failures of the ‘war on drugs’
- San Diego Free Press: Worldwide Protests Erupt Over the Racist, Devastating, Failed War on Drugs
- Vox Media: The violent history of International Anti-Drug Day
- eNews Park Forest: Global Day of Action on June 26: More than Eighty Cities Protest the Drug War
- Hemp News: Global Day of Action Sees More Than 80 Cities Protest The Drug War
- Substance.com: New York’s “Support. Don’t Punish” Demo Targets the UN
- Substance.com: This Thursday, the World Rises Up Against the War on Drugs